Art and creativity in one form or another have dominated my life for as long as I can remember. I have used art making as a tool for a whole range of things such as communicating ideas, thinking and asking questions, exploring what is around me and ultimately, developing a deeper, more profound understanding of my own experience of being human. For me, good art has intensity – it feels somehow 'charged'. It demands a response from the viewer which might be emotional or intellectual or a combination of both.
Recurring themes in my work include:
- Natural cycles e.g. the waxing and waning of the moon, the changing seasons
- Birth, death and rebirth
- The self in every dimension - intellectual, physical, psychic and emotional.
- The unconscious/dreamlife
- Journeying – physical, emotional, metaphorical
- Relationships – epiphytic, symbiotic, umbilicus, estranged etc
I am also interested in a relationship between visual art and poetry.
Visual artists who have particularly inspired me include Camille Claudel, Henri Matisse, Barbara Hepworth, Joseph Cornell, Louise Bourgeois, Susan Hiller and Marlene Dumas.
Poets and writers who have inspired me include Sylvia Plath, Ted Hughes, Siri Hustvedt, Anna Kavan and Stefan Zweig.
- 'Through art we talk to strangers' – Marlene Dumas
- 'Find out what matters to you most and pursue it' – Frank Auerbach
- 'If you want to change your art, change your habits – try a different material' – Anthony Caro
- 'Artists have a function, otherwise we wouldn't be here. We're part of a conversation. It's our job to represent and mirror back the values of our culture in a way that people haven't seen before' - Susan Hiller
- 'It is an artist's responsibility to disenchant – to unsettle, disturb and force people to see the world from a fresh perspective' – W.H.Auden
- 'Art does not reproduce the visible, rather it makes it visible' – Paul Klee
- 'My art is an exorcism and beauty is something I never talk about' - Louise Bourgeois
- 'I wanted my images to have power, to be magic. I decided that for the images to have magic qualities I had to work directly with nature' - Anna Mendieta
- 'I am working hard; going toward an art of concept, using reality as a point of departure never as a stopping point' – Joan Miro
What Other Artists Say